What type of a physician can diagnose the cause of the dizziness followed by a brief shiver?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Trying to figure out what type of physician to see...I'm experiencing what I can only describe as dizzyness (mild) which has been consistent since this past Friday. Each "wave" of dizzyness is followed by a brief shiver. It does not seem to be based on position i.e. standing, turning, rapid eye movement, etc. does not exacerbate the dizzyness. Had an ENT appt. this morning for another reason, but the doctor also checked possible ear related issues. It does not seem to be inner ear related. No headaches are associated with this. There have been no medication changes. BP is 120/80.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:

I'm glad you saw the ENT doctor to rule out vestibular problems. So I will assume the dizziness is more of a light headed feeling rather than feeling like the room is spinning?

There are many things that can cause light headed type of dizziness so it may take some sleuthing.

If it just started 4 days ago, it may be your body fighting a viral illness.

If any of your medications were started or increased recently, it may be related to the medication. In particular, the Lisinopril can cause light headedness even with a normal blood pressure. But all of your meds, except for the Vitamin D, can have side effects that might be perceived like this.

I don't think it is an eye problem given that turning and rapid eye movement does not make it worse.

If you haven't seen your primary care doctor, I would start there. He/she can check your blood for anemia, iron deficiency, B12 deficiency (can start with a complete blood count - CBC), get a "differential" with the CBC to check for infection, check TSH and T4 for thyroid problems, and possibly do a chemistry/metabolic panel. I'd also revisit any medication changes that you might have had recently.

Depending on the results of your exam and labs, you might have a better idea of the next step, such as seeing an endocrinologist.

You mention a shiver feeling after the dizziness. That can be a cytokine release from an immune response. Or if you are feeling cold, some people experience hot flashes this way.

Take care,
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh