What medications effectively treat nerve itch after the onset of RA?
Have there been other meds found to help people with this problem. My RA, already quite severe, is enough to put up with :(
Please provide additional information
I can certainly understand your concern
I have worked through your attached query in detail
Before guiding you further I would like to know the following
1. Can you describe your current symptoms of " nerve itch " in detail ?
2. Specify the list of medications being currently taken for RA ?
3. What is the highest dose of Nortriptyline you recieved in a day ?
4. Have you taken any tests for your symptoms in recent past ? If yes kindly upload the reports on our web page
Once I receive your answers I will guide you thoroughly
2) I take methadone, gabapentin for my RA. As an experiment, my neurologist took me off both drugs for 30 days, under strict supervision. It didn't change my symptoms.
3) I take 30mg/day
4) No further testing was done.
I hope this helps.
Possible Cholinergic Urticaria
I have worked through your given responses in detail
As per symptoms, the possibility of Cholinergic Urticaria of the skin is high. These skin issues are not related to either methadone or Gabapentin.
These skin issues usually respond to long acting antihistamine medications. I generally prescribe oral pills of Desloratidine to my patients with such symptoms. Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.
There is no role for Nortriptyline in your case. It's advisable to stop the drug after gradual dose reduction.
Medications for RA can be taken as usual.
Post your further queries if any
Nortriptyline has potential side effects.
Hello again Sir,
Nortriptyline is an antidepressant and a pain-modulating agent. Its outcome is more or less similar to Gabapentin. Hence it has an additive effect.
Long-term use of Nortriptyline can lead to significant side effects like drug dependence, dry mouth, Urinary retention, vision disturbances etc.
Hence I advised for its dose tapering.
As Gabapentin is already prescribed, the need for Nortriptyline is very less. Hence in my view, if it's showing potential side effects, the drug should be withdrawn.
Please post your further queries if any
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Gabapentin to treat nerve pain
- What is the medication for severe nerve pain
- Effect of sciatic nerve after cabg
- What is the medication for strengthening penis and nerves
- What doctor treats vagus nerve
- What does s1 nerve root effect
- Drugs to treat nerve pain
- What are the options for treating nerve pain
- How to treat nerve pain
- How to treat nerve damage
- Does excessive massage result in temporary nerve damage?
- What is the prognosis for CKD with eGFR of 52?
- Suggest treatment for sore lesions on the chin and buttocks, nausea and...
- What do ingestion, diarrhea and brain fog indicate despite following a...
- Can CFS and de Quervain tenosynovitis increase one's CK levels?
- What causes chronic vomiting after several surgeries around the uterus...
- What causes difficulty in sleeping in an elderly person?
- Suggest ways to lose weight in a healthy manner
- Suggest treatment for persistent sinus infection
- Suggest remedies for swelling and purple bruise around the finger nails