• question-icon

What kind of tremors associated with thyroid disorders?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: What types of tremors are associated with hyper/hypothyroidism?
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hands tremor that occurs even ar rest.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have gone through your question and understoo your concern.

Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the metabolic balance of the body is up regulated, resulting in increased energy production by every cell of the body.
As a result, the nervous stimuli become excessive, resulting in hand tremor that occur even at test.

When the thyroid gland is overactive (hyperthyroidism) the body's processes speed up and you may experience nervousness, anxiety, rapid heartbeat, hand tremor, excessive sweating, weight loss, and sleep problems, among other symptoms.

These elements are important for the diagnosis of hyperthyroidism and tremor related to this condition.

The intensity of tremor depends on the general excitability of the nerves, which correlates with the body condition, as well as the degree to which the thyroid hormone production is increased.

At the other side,you should know that thyroid overactivity also leads to worsening of all other types of tremor as well.

My advice for you is to consult your doctor because to trace the origin of a tremor to thyroid overactivity, a complete medical history must be taken, along with a physical examination for signs of thyroid enlargement and hyperfunction.

Along with these, measurement of the blood levels of thyroid hormones is advised and is extremely useful to establish the diagnosis.You should discuss with your doctor about these tests.

Anyway,don't worry because it is not life threatening.The tremor induced by an overactive thyroid responds to appropriate treatment of hyperthyroidism.

Hope this information is helpful.
If you have other questions,feel free and ask.I wil be happy to help.
Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist