Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

What kind of doctor should I consult for closing my ear piercing?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 709 Questions
Ear lobe problem. Trying to close piercing hole. Has been more than 1-2 years since i wore earring. For some reason my ear hole piercing remains black (the edge and inside of the ear piercing hole on ear lobe) & not sure what type of doctor i should seek to cure it It doesn't hurt and dont think there are any bumps. Its just a regular small ear piercing on my left ear lobe (no stretching) I tried Dettol placing it inside with cottom swabs but that doesn't cure it to try to maybe clean it.
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 17 hours later
Brief Answer: simple surgery would suffice Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, To close the ear piercing, you have to undergo a simple surgery. You can consult either a general surgeon or an ENT specialist or a plastic surgeon for the same. The procedure is done under local anesthesia, you will feel no pain and will be fully awake during the procedure. The procedure will take not more than 15 minutes. The ear lobule will be split in the centre and will be sutured after the edges of the piercing are freshened. There is no other way to close the piercing. The black colour that you have seen in the piercing is nothing but dead skin. Do not worry about it. I hope i have answered your question. Feel free to follow up. Regards, Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What kind of doctor should I consult for closing my ear piercing? 3 hours later
Thank you. Is there anyway to clean the black dead skin without surgery?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: May be it is pigmentation. Detailed Answer: Hi again, You can take something pointed but not sharp like a match stick and try to reach into it and clean it gently with a mild soap. But if it is appearing adherent inspite of cleaning then probably it is pigmentation. Long standing allergies and infections tend to leave pigmentation that does not go away completely even after allergy or infection is brought under control. If it is bothering you very much you can apply creams that lighten pigmentations To get a prescription you have to pay a visit to the skin specialist. However with time pigmentations generally get lighter. Feel free to follow up, Regards, Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What kind of doctor should I consult for closing my ear piercing? 1 hour later
I doubt its pigmentation cause its just pure black/grey around where the ear piercing used to be. Never had that before until i placed jewelry there Thinking it could of been fake gold or the jewelry that made it that way To clean up the black dead skin is there any ointment treatment or only surgery is what your recommending?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dilute hydrogen peroxide. Detailed Answer: Hi again, You can try dilute hydrogen peroxide to clean the area. If the black grey colour still persists then i still feel that it is pigmentation. Skin reacts to certain metals by getting pigmented even if you have used a particular jewelery for a short time. You can try laser dermabrasion. In this procedure the superficial layers of the skin are burnt with laser. The pigmented layers if superficial are burnt and new fresh layer of skin grows. It is an OPD procedure. Talk to your dermatologist about it. Perhaps there has been a misunderstanding ... I did not suggest surgery for the black color but i suggested it for closing the hole. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What kind of doctor should I consult for closing my ear piercing? 1 hour later
Thanks again. How should i use the peroxide? twice daily with cotton swaps? and when should i see it clearing up. I tried that before as well for 2 days but saw nothing changed Should i attach a photo so you can see what i mean Oh sorry im just now reading the detailed answers. the opening hole of ear piecing does not bother me just mainly the the dark area. I just checked again its like brown close to black. But the doctor you recommend me visiting is a dermatologist and not a Otolaryngologist who's an ear specialist?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Dermatologist. Detailed Answer: If it is not getting cleared with peroxide then it is definitely pigmentation, not just dead skin. You have to see a dermatologist because the problem is in the skin and has nothing to do with ear and hearing. Hope i have helped you, Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor