Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

What kind of diet should I follow to reduce my weight?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 228 Questions
hi my wife 25 yrs have weight of 75 kgs 5.7 feet height i need some diet plan for weight reduse.
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Weight
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 3 hours later
Brief Answer: exercises and dietary modifications are needed Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thank you for posting the query. The data provided by you indicated that your wife's BMI (Body Mass Index) is 26.0 kg/m2. This means that her current body weight for height is above the normal level. The possible reasons for increase in weight are many but predominantly lack of sufficient physical activity and overeating (high calorie intake), are the main culprits. Diet or exercise alone cannot meet the requirements for a healthy weight loss. Hence, the key is a combination of both in our daily routine. Include more salads, fruits and whole grains in the diet, these would provide the insoluble fiber to add bulk to the diet. Refined foods are low on fiber and provide instant calories,check their intake. Saturated fats like pure ghee, butter, cream etc. are rich in saturated fats and are associated with high cholesterol and body fat levels . Instead, choose from the unsaturated fats like refined vegetable oils, sunflower oil, soybean oil, rice XXXXXXX oil etc. Also limit the intake of nuts and oil seeds.Choose from the low fat dairy products, and replace the regular cheese with tofu (soy paneer). If she takes non vegetarian food, then the leaner cuts are good for her in place of red meat and organs. Make sure that she take only roasted non veg. and for not more than twice a week. It is important to keep the body hydrated and divide the meals into smaller portions. Eating frequently; fixing timings helps to keep safe from eating in-between. Eating frequently does not necessarily mean that you can eat at any time. .Include sugar less green tea in your daily routine. It’s packed with antioxidants to boot your metabolism.Take the meal before leaving the house, to avoid those hunger strokes while in market or at office. Availability of mouthwatering snacks makes it difficult to resist them when one is hungry. Going for regular exercises, brisk walk for 45 min is considered ideal for weight loss. Start with 15 min and gradually add 2-4 minutes every day to reach 45 minutes. Sit ups and abdominal crunches should be done for reducing abdominal fat deposits. Also making small lifestyle modifications like, eating food on time, avoiding activities like reading and watching TV while eating, are helpful. The main aim of the dietary modifications to achieve gradual and healthy weight reduction is to decrease the calorie intake by 500 Kcal /day. This would result in a weight loss of ½ Kg. per week, while allowing the body to adjust to the changes. Hope this helps. Meenakshi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What kind of diet should I follow to reduce my weight? 3 hours later
Can you please help with A diet chart as what she should eat and how much in entire day so that she can follow and see if weight comes down.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor