What is the window period of HIV combo test?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi Doctor,

Four weeks ago, I was involved in actions like breast sucking and nipple biting in a strip club. I also inserted my finger only once (finger had a small peel of skin) inside the vagina of a massusee in a happy ending massage parlour. After that, I experienced lot of HIV related symptoms like mouth ulcer, soar throat and few rashes on my back (not sure whether they were before). I took the HIV TMA RNA test on 15th day after exposure and the result came as 'not detected'. But, I would like to take a confirmatory HIV combo test (p24 antigen & HIV1/2 antibody). What is the window period for this test and how accurate this test is?
Also, please give your evalaution on my test resut of TMA RNA test. And what is the risk in my case? Would you reccomand a combo test for me?
breast sucking was on a non lactating women.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again The window period of HIV combo test i

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

The window period of HIV combo test is 1 Month. A negative PCR test certainly rules out HIV however a second negative test for HIV with a different test e.g HIV combo test at 1month would seal the result. HIV combo test is very sensitive at 1 month post sexual contact, the sensitivity of detection of combo test being that of 99.8%.

Your sexual encounter would anyways won't qualify as the one bearing a risk of HIV.