Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the treatment for swollen gums and bad breath?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 780 Questions
Hey, I have a problem with my gums. On the back far left side of my gums its a Lil swollen and it has a very tender feel when I smile (sometimes) and when I eat it hurts and they bleed. Its causing me REALLY bad breath and ppl can smell it from far away even when I'm just breathing through my nose. On my far right back of gums its a bit swollen and its not as much painful or anything and I dont bleed that much. What should I do? I rinse with Listerine but it hurts and stings bad when I do, is that a good thing? What do u think it is? And if I go to a dentist how will they help with my problem?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Wisdom tooth or gums infection, x - ray will clear Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thank you for consulting with XXXXXXX This is Dr. Dipti Singh here to answer your query. As you are mentioning that your gums of both right and left are slightly swollen and they bleed to touch, there can be two possibilities for this condition- - First it can be possible that your wisdom tooth of both side are erupting and before it they have formed a sac in which there must be deposition of food, and this is causing the bad breath. - Second it can be possible that you are having starting of gum infection which is leading to this condition. In both the cases you have to visit a good dentist as just rinsing will not help. He will take an x - ray which will confirm about wisdom tooth, and if it is just infection of gums a prophylaxis will be done. Hope it will help you. Regards Dr . Dipti Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor