Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for sore swollen ear post syringing?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 784 Questions
Hi, My wife XXXXXXX has had her ear syringed yesterday and last week. The ear is now swollen and sore. Can you please advise the best relief method. She has taken nurofen plus just now. Is cold or heat the best? my email address is YYYY@YYYY Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Use of antibiotic drops will help Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Ear becoming swollen and sore post syringing points towards otitis externa which is an infection of the external auditory canal and pinna. Along with analgesics, patient needs to put antibiotic ear drops. A combination drop of antibiotics with steroids, antifungal and local anaesthetic is more useful if available over the counter. If pain does not improve or increases, you need to see an ENT as patient needs to start with oral antibiotics. Heat or cold is not usually effective but some symptomatic relief with heat may occur. Avoid water getting in to ear canal and application of steroid with antibiotic cream over the pinna if it is swollen also helps. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for sore swollen ear post syringing? 2 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Duggal. Very much appreciate your help with this. Warm regards, XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: It was pleasure answering ur queries. Regards Detailed Answer: Dear, It was pleasure answering your queries. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor