Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for low blood pressure?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
i have been having trouble with low blood pressure and sweating spells really bad I do not know what to do
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Further investigation is required Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for posting your query, Sorry for your health troubles. If you are having persistent low blood pressure or hypotension then you will require medical attention as it could be as a result of an underlying diseases condition which could become fatal if ignored. A drop of blood pressure below the normal could be due to sudden loss of blood/shock, severe infection, heart attack etc but since yours seem to be long lasting, it is certainly not one of the those conditions but rather chronic conditions that either have been determined in the hospital or not. A condition such as orthostatic hypotension is the most common in older adults such as yourself. This is also common amongst hypertensive and those suffering from parkinson's diseases. It is often hardly a serious condition, but when severe could reveal fatal as it could lead to cardiac arrest or heart attack. Other conditions that maybe or may not lead to hypotension in your situation include (certain medicines and substances can lead to low blood pressure): - Alcohol - Anti-anxiety medicines - Certain antidepressants - Diuretics - Heart medicines, including those used to treat high blood pressure and coronary heart disease - Medicines used for surgery - Painkillers Other causes of low blood pressure include: - Nerve damage from diabetes - Changes in heart rhythm (arrhythmias) - Not drinking enough fluids (dehydration) - Heart failure In any case, I recommend you see a cardiologist who can run further diagnostic after physical examination to determine the cause and also establish the state of your health/body then maybe provide some treatment to remedy the situation. I do wish that you have full recovery and have a better health. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor