Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for Balanitis and candida infection?

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
Hi Doctor It's almost 5 month I am suffering from Balanitis. I was diagnosed from a candida infection. I have tried sevel creams for periods of 2 weeks and two weeks, the flucomazol 100 mg/day during 2 weeks, I have done this process twice, with improvement but not removing completly. After that my doctor suggest a corticoids... cream, to make sure its not an alergy, situation was worst. Now my doctor tried combine the cream with flucomazol 200 mg/day. After a week I do not see any improvement. I tested negative for most of the STI like HIV, Siphilis, Gonorrea.... Any help or idea
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Needs more clarification with pictures Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posing your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for Balanitis problem on penis. The part of history is though helpful but not conclusive enough to guide you for best suggestions and possibility. I request you to provide some details like: - Do you feel any discharge from the penile skin. If yes then is it watery or pus like or whitish. - Any redness over the penis. - Any pain, itching or irritation over the the penis. - History of both unprotected and protected intercourse in past (5 months back) and recently. The best of the part would be to send few good resolution pictures of the area so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia) Waiting for your reply so that I can guide you further. For the interim of help you can follow the suggestions below: - Wash your penile area for two times in a day with plane water. Wash it very gently but properly. It is quite important to retract your skin fully backwards and then wash the area. - After every sexual intercourse/masturbation too, wash the area properly. - Wear cotton undergarments. Change these two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments. - Avoid intercourse for few days. Preferably do not masturbate for few days. When starting again then be gentle and do not be vigorous in the act. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for Balanitis and candida infection? 46 hours later
Hi Doctor, I will send you the pictures shortly. I did never had any discharge, only redness on the head of the pinus and the foreskin, itching a little bit. Getting more red when I have sex or I clean properly When Everything started just had few red dotes, was diagnosed with Candida, at the same time my partner was diagnosed with vaginal candidiasis, which cured very fast. The unprotectec sex I had was with another partner, I recieved unprotected oral for few seconds. After that all sex I had its been protected
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Apply anti-fungal cream "Sertaconazole" Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to the forum again and thanks for your follow up. I was waiting for the pictures but was not able to find them. Anyhow on the basis of the details you provided and reading your complete query with diligence I can make out that you are suffering from recurrent candidal (fungal) infection of the glans penis area. Before I proceed to your condition, let you understand some medical facts- Fungal infections are common type of infections which can affect anybody at any site. But more commonly it affects the areas which are moist areas (as in your case). More specifically this is related to the hygiene especially in uncircumcised males. It is more common to find moist area at glans penis and frenulum (skin covering the glans penis) area which favors the growth of fungus. The fungus can be grown directly in an individual or can be more commonly because of infection from the partner. So in case of unprotected sexual intercourse if the area is not washed properly or later on if the hygiene is not maintained properly anybody can get the infection again. So the same thing is in your case too. For the management of the same kindly follow the suggestions below: - Wash your penile area for two times in a day. You can use a mild soap to wash the area. Wash it very gently but properly. If you are uncircumcised then it is quite important to retract your skin fully backwards and then wash the area. - After every sexual intercourse too, wash the area properly. I personally suggest you to use protection in form of condoms during every intercourse. - It is quite very important to check for infection in your partner too. If your partner has white discharge then it is the most common cause of recurrent infection. In all the cases of candidal infection we always treat the partner. So get your partner treated for the same. - Wear cotton undergarments. Change these two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments. - You can apply latest anti-fungal creams such as "Sertaconazole" or "Luliconazole" or "Amorolfine" and take latest anti-fungal tablets according to medical advise. Sometimes there is resistance to the clotrimazole, so the latest antifungals helps in completely eradicating the infection. Overall it is nothing to be worried about. It is a common condition which we see quite often in our day to day practice. With complete treatment of self and partner and with good hygiene maintenance it can be cured very easily. I hope this clears all your doubts. Tell me if you have any further quires. Wish you good health with regards, Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD - Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor