What is the suggested medication for cough during pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Madam, I had a conversation with you couple of days back about suffering from cough durinng 14th week of pregnancy. You suggested Suppressa and Lastuss LA. However, upon searching for these in the medicine shops, I could not find any such medicine. Please could you help me find a good dry cough relief medicine. Also, I read online that many pregnant women take Benadryl during their 9 months for sleeping and allergies. Is it safe to take? Please let me know. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Benadryl should not be used in pregnancy. Detailed Answer: Hi Ms. XXXX, Thanks for posting your query. You can get Dextromethorphan syrup from XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX under the brand name Benylin Adult Formula Oral or Silphen DM. Try to use as little medication as possible as the effects of this medication on your pregnancy are not known. You may experiences some side effects like hallucinations, nausea and vomiting as this is a codeine-related drug. You can use Vicks Formula 44 also. Benadryl should not be used in pregnancy as it has a category B drug. It may harm the fetus. In fact, there is no safe anti-histamine that can be used in pregnancy; judgement lies with the attending doctor on the relative safety and the need for medication. Hope I have answered your query. Please get back if you need more information. I will be happy to help. best wishes, Shanti.V.
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN