What causes hallucinations and paranoia while on Atomoxetine and Sertraline?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: My son is currently taking atomoxetine 80 mg and serttaline 50 mg and has been experiencing hallucinations and paranoyia. He went to the ER last night and they discharged him this morning. Should he continue taking this medication? Can he skip the medicine until Monday? Then he can get a hold of his doctor.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stop till Monday

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Atomoxetine is a stimulant medication that is usually given to keep ADHD symptoms in control. However, this medicine is known to cause hallucinations and paranoia and so it would be a good idea to stop the medicine till Monday. Nevertheless, it should be borne in mind that behavioral changes caused due to ADHD may resurface and might need to be taken care of.

Let me know if I could help further.