What is the reason for experiencing funny feeling in forearm, dizzy, headache and nausea?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Last night I woke up with a funny sensation in my left forearm. It felt as if it was asleep from about 8 inches above my wrist down to my fingers with a ring like sensation where it began on my forearm. When I woke up this morning I felt just fine. I went to work and began to feel tired relatively fast. Around 3pm, I had 1 cup of strong coffee (I almost never drink coffee) and then went to the gym to work out. As I was working out, I slowly began to feel lightheaded and somewhat dizzy with a knot type pain in my left forearm (top side). When I arrived home I felt very nauseous. Ever since then I have felt short of breath and somewhat heavy chested, not being able to catch my breath at times. My left arm has felt cold at times and I have also experienced some pains and odd sensations (just on the left arm). I sometimes catch my breath and it feels as though my heart begins to race before I calm down. I do suffer from anxiety which is making matters worse but I am curious as to if I should seek medical attention soon to determine if I may also be suffering from an underlying heart condition. I am only 22 years of age (male) and am in relatively good shape (thin build). I work out once a week but do not eat the healthiest. I have been told that my family does have some heart issues but I believe that I am too young to be experiencing anything like this yet.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need clinical check up Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your symptoms neck pain can be due to diffuse disc bulge compressing your cervical spine. Most probable reason for your symptoms could be postural problem as you may be sitting for long time and working on computer for long time. Another possibility of cardiac origin of pain , as it involved left side along with dizziness, you may need clinical examination to rule out this. When such patient comes to my hospital we usually take x ray spine to see for severity of nerve compression. Some medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain, you can take them consulting your treating doctor. Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- gradual neck rotation, touching your ears to shoulder, shoulder shrugging exercises. You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS ,or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. Also check your vit B12 and vit D3 in your blood. Hope this helps. Wish you speedy recovery. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 hours later
Doctor, I am not experiencing any neck pain whatsoever. I did not mention that in my inital statement. Again my symptoms include: funny sensation in my left forearm. It felt as if it was asleep from about 8 inches above my wrist down to my fingers with a ring like sensation where it began on my forearm. feel tired relatively fast. Around 3pm, I had 1 cup of strong coffee (I almost never drink coffee) and then went to the gym to work out. As I was working out, I slowly began to feel lightheaded and somewhat dizzy with a knot type pain in my left FOREARM (top side). very nauseous. Ever since then I have felt short of breath and somewhat heavy chested, not being able to catch my breath at times. My left arm has felt cold at times and I have also experienced some pains and odd sensations (just on the left arm). I sometimes catch my breath and it feels as though my heart begins to race before I calm down. Generally feeling a little weak in my chest and left arm areas. Please re consider your diagnosis
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be due to vascular occlusion Detailed Answer: Hello again These symptoms could be due to vascular occlusion around your elbow or arm. Colour Doppler may help in diagnosis. Another possibility of cardiac origin of pain , as it involved left side along with dizziness, you may need clinical examination to rule out this. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Would this expelling the tiredness as well? I typically only begin to feel any pain or discomfort at night. Could this mean anything different?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 46 hours later
Brief Answer: No that may not be reason Detailed Answer: Hello again You feel pain increased in night as you are not busy with other work,and your focus remains on your body. So you can investigate further for reason of pain. Wishing you good health. Take care.