Suggest treatment for headache and hip pain

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi,
Three years ago i moved homes. I moved a lot of heavy furniture etc. for 3 days. The days following, my hips began to hurt. That worked its way to my neck/head and began to get headaches. Chiropractor #1 took xrays. Said it was my lower spine slightly curved in. He 'adjusted' me and all was well, for about 3-4 days. I still had restricted movement with my hips which i was told would take awhile to fix. I did this for six months, then moved onto an Upper Cervical Doctor who said the previous guy was wrong, hip issues are almost always due to the Subluxation issue. So i did xrays with him. He did not point out the lower spine at all. Said it was upper. So he would adjust me which that consisted of leaning over a table with my head turned either to the left or right, and then him putting pressure on my neck and pushing down hard. It addressed the headache and ringing in the ear etc. that is associated with the hips being out. But i still had restricted movement with my hips. Its like they won't go past a certain point, like there is some kind of obstruction. Both doctors by the way, pointed out the uneven length of my legs. And both identified different reasons. That went on for a year. I decided to go to a pain management specialist. He took xrays of course and said it was arthritis. Nothing spine related. About six months ago i stopped with the upper cervical and went with a guy who did ART. He correctly identified that it was my hips. He said i had anterior pelvic tilt and hip flexor issues. So he does his little 45 second adjustment and wallah, my legs are even. Little residual pain in the hip area because its usually out 2-3 days before i can get in. After 4 months, i started doing a number of exercises i came across on YouTube. They helped, but i still had restricted movement in my hips. I managed to make it about 5 weeks without needing to see him. Mainly because i got lazy and stopped stretching. I also added a pillow under my legs when i sleep. My last adjustment, after he said everything is back in place, i asked, "If everything is in place, why is it that i always have limited hip movement?" He just responded with 'Its a simple question but complicated answer'. That is it. And i take it he didnt know with that answer, or lack of. I stopped doing karate because i could not kick without extreme pain. I also could not do deep movements like kata's. And the next day, pain. I am getting ready to try #5 but someone has to be missing something. Any ideas or suggestions for course of treatment would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long story, thought it would be important in the end. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hip arthritis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.

I have gone through your medical history,symptoms and the treatment you have taken till now, in detail.You should not feel sorry for posting a long question.In fact,its appreciable that you have mentioned your history so systematically.

It does seem that the issue is mainly related to your hip joints.

Arthritis or inflammation of the hip joint cause secondary stiffness of the surrounding ligaments and muscles causing restricted movements of the hip.

The best treatment for such kind of stiffness is regular stretching,physiotherapy and yoga exercises.

Physiotherapy should include hot fomentation,TENS,muscle stimulation,LASER treatment,active and passive muscle stretching and strengthening exercises.

If there is a physiotherapy centre nearby your place then you should get it done on daily basis.

Any kind of surgical intervention should be avoided as things will get more complicated.

Avoid sitting cross legged or squatting or keeping the hips in same position for long periods of time.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 6 hours later
Thank you for the response. So prior to that move where i did the damage, i never had any issues with my back, hips, neck, nothing. So how would it be arthritic if it was instantaneous and a result of that 3 days of heavy lifting?
Brief Answer:
HEAVY LIFTING TRIGGERS SYNOVITIS

Detailed Answer:
Heavy lifting even for a day can trigger synovial inflammation in weak hips.
This inflammation in long run can lead to arthritis.

A recent MRI can help to rule out arthritis of hip and it is highly recommended to get a MRI done.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad