What is the prognosis for advanced ovarian cancer?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Question: Would like to know what the prognosis is for advanced ovarian cancer?
would like advice if a diet change is of any benefit. What kind of treatment is the preferred type. Where is the best place to get treatment. Is there anything close to Vero Beach , Florida? She has family there and intends to have her follow-up treatment is that area.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prognosis is variable, but not so bad.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. Ovarian cancer , most of the time is detected only in advanced stage. The usual treatment is a combination of surgery and chemotherapy for 6 cycles. Surgery can be done first followed by chemo or if the tumor load is high then a few cycles of chemo can be given first to reduce the tumor so as to make fit for surgery. Usually we do not advice any special diet. Only hygienic well cooked food is all a patient has to take. Survival depends on how patient responds to initial treatment; that is to chemo and surgery. Average survival in advanced stage is 3 to 5 years sometimes more.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D