What is the maximum number of Cortisone shots a person should not exceed in their lifetime?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is there a maximum number of cortisone shots a person should not exceed in their lifetime?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No such limit

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.
I hope this message finds you in a good health.

As far as the cortisone shots are concerned,there is no such maximum number of shots that can be taken in a lifetime for a person.

A single injection gets absorbed completely into the system approximately within 21 days.So the next injection can be given at the same site 21 days after the next injection.

We recommend taking maximum 3 injections at a single painful site with a gap of 21 days between every 2 consecutive injections.

Like wise,you can take maximum 3 injections at every different painful site.

There is no fixed deadline number of cortisone shots to be taken altogether in a person's body in a lifetime.

Thank you.

Best wishes.