What is the lowest blood sugar level?
80-130 should be your target for fasting blood glucose
although individuals without diabetes may have (normally) fasting blood glucose levels as low as 70mg/dL and no symptoms are expected, individuals with diabetes should try to have 80-130mg/dL, particularly those on insulin. Less than 80 increases the risk for hypoglycemia. Keep in mind that the longer the diabetes duration the less likely for the mechanisms against hypoglycemia to be intact. So a patient with long-standing diabetes who is on insulin, may experience sudden coma because the body could not counteract effectively the blood glucose decrease.
So in conclusion, although levels as low as 70mg/dL are considered normal, the target levels for fasting blood glucose for a diabetic on insulin are 80-130mg/dL.
I hope it helps!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What if my blood sugar level is at 141
- What is the treatment blood sugar level of 280
- What does blood sugar level of 101 mean
- Whats the lowest hemoglobin level before transfusion
- What is the normal blood sugar level for a healthy person
- What is the lowest hemoglobin level before having a blood transfusion
- Lowest safe blood sugar level
- What is effect when blood sugar level is 345
- What if my blood sugar level is at 201
- Lowest blood sugar recorded