• question-icon

What is the life expectancy of a person with mild aortic stenosis?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hi what is the life expectancy of a person with mild aortic stenosis.. IIs it advisable to go for an arrange marrage with such a person
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Decide if you want to treat it or leave it untreated.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

There are a number of facets to your question. The first consideration is whether the aortic stenosis is to be left untreated or whether timely intervention is to be taken. If proper intervention is done, a patient with aortic stenosis can lead a practically normal life with a normal life expectancy. But if left untreated, both the life expectancy as well as the life expectancy will come down significantly. So, you have to be prepared for surgeries which involve both expense as well as life risk.

About planning a matrimonial alliance, that is not something that is under my purview to comment upon. If it is a love affair, assume the person to be just another family member and do what you would have done. If it is about weighing the risks and returns, calculate accordingly. I have already mentioned about the outcomes. However, going through the following might be helpful for you:
http://yyyyyyyyyyyyy.com/hcp/about-aortic-stenosis
http://yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.onlinejacc.org/yyyyyy/article.aspx?articleid=0000

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 19 hours later
if the condition is mild stenosis right now .. wil it definitely become severe later on ?? the patient is not talking any medication right now as the doctor said... what is the treatment suggested for a person with mild aortic stenosis
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild stenosis does not require treatment but periodic evaluation required

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Patients with mild aortic stenosis do not require treatment or restriction of activity. Aortic stenosis can progress over a few years. Patients with moderate aortic stenosis (valve area 1.5 to 1.0 square centimeters) are advised to avoid strenuous activities such as weight lifting or sprinting. Patients are usually examined annually and evaluated by echocardiography periodically to monitor disease progression.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha