• question-icon

What is the difference between Sinarest and Ventorlin?

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: what is the difference between sinarest -af drops and ventorlin syrup for cough and cold. Our pediatrician prescribed sinarest -af for our 9 months old baby, while another doctor (as the XXXXXXX is in another city now) said sinarest af should not be given as it can have adverse side effects, he prescribed ventorlin, please help
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Both are ok if there is noisy breathing or respiratory distress

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Sinarest Af Drops contains Chlorpheniramine Maleate, and Phenylephrine as active ingredients. These are basically antiallergics. Ventorlin syrup on the other hand contains Salbutamol as an active ingredient. Salbutamol is a bronchodilator and relieves wheezing, if present.

Sinarest Af can have the side effect of increased sleepiness but I would not really worry about it. Unless there is respiratory distress, noisy breathing or wheezing present I do not see any reason to give ventorlin syrup.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion. Just sit with your child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops in case of nose block.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician