Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

What is the cure for a bald spot on the back of the head ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Hi Doctor, My Name is Mario, I am 12 years old (turning 13 in may), And I have 2 problems, I need help with, First problem is that I have a Bald Spot in the back of my head, I think I am too young to have a Bald Spot, The people at school make fun of me for it, I need you to help me grow that hair back!! Please! and my second problem, is that I am about 160 Pounds, 64 inches, I am Overweight, I tried everything, including Eating Less, Exercising, Acai Berry, Soccer, XXXXXXX Tea, Subliminal Messages, Nothing worked, Please help me with that too! Thank YOU!!

Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

A single bald spot at the back of the head most likey fungal infection. It is called Alopecia Areata. It can be cured if treated early. If you want to avoid the embarassment from peers you have to take the help of your parents and see a Dermatologist. He will prescribe you medicines after observing the patches which you have to use for a month and so.

Second problem is overweightedness, child hood overweighted XXXXXXX is a common condition. If you have tried everything by yourself, it is time for you to take the help of experts who can plan your weight loss. They will design a diet plan and exercise routine along with behavioural modification tips. If you follow them for 2 to 3 months, I am sure you will lose 10pounds and so on. You are young to understand the importance of expert interference.

At this age, you cannot help yourself, please take my advices only under the guidance of your guardian / parents.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cure for a bald spot on the back of the head ? 7 minutes later
I understand I am too young to understand these things, But my parents don't think its important!! So that is why i came here for help! I paid wit my own money and everything
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 minutes later

How about your teachers? They should notify your parents about your social problem at school. How about the school doctor / nurse? Would not they address your problem?

You can show my opinion here to your parents and ask them to take you to the doctor. If you have alopecia / fungal infection then it mostly likely extends to other areas. Hence an early stage treatment matters most.

You cannot afford the medicines with the money you saved yet, at least then you need your parent's assistance.

I pray for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cure for a bald spot on the back of the head ? 25 minutes later
Thank You, but what do u recommend i use, I heard Extra Virgin Olive Oil helps, Can I use that??
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 hours later

Extra virgin olive oil is good for hair growth , but this may be used as an additional trial for hair growth , but it does not mean a treatment option for your condition .

As suggested earlier , you must seek the help of parents or teachers for the treatment of hair loss and over weight,I am sure they will help you. Once you take the right medicines your problems will be solved and your mind will be put to ease. Your age being such a period , where lot of changes in the body and appearance are expected , weight gain being one among the changes seen, is common .

Your too young to worry about them and cannot solve these issues all by yourself . This is a common problem at your age, which may look like a very big problem to you. Do not worry so much, instead share it with your parents and well wishers and sort it out

I wish you all the best for your future . I am sure you will be positive and will discuss your problems with your parents

Wish you good health .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor