What is the cause of burping, head ache and heart burn?

Posted on Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Burping, head ache and heart burn
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 20 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for the query.

Your query is a short one but very specific.

From the limited data that you have provided I think you may have a Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) with or with out Hiatus hernia. Uncomplicated GERD (<5yrs) in young people is first treated with a course of proton pump inhibitors and prokinetics and if there is incomplete response - an endoscopy is ordered.

Along with this, lifestyle changes like breathing exercises, weight reduction, sleeping with head end elevation and not lying down for 2 hours after the meal helps. Also drink plenty of water, a minimum of 8 glasses in a day helps.

Dr Poorna XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S

Gastroenterologist