Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

What is the cause for pain and stiffness in shoulders and knees?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I have been having pain in my shoulders, knees and stiffness and pain in both hands and my grip seems weaker. I would like a second opinion
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Undergo few blood tests. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Seems you are suffering from multiple joint pain - Polyarthritis with stiffness. Rheumatoid arthritis is one of the most common causes for Polyarthritis. I would suggest you to get yourself examined by an Orthopaedician for multiple joint pains. You would be asked to undergo few blood tests like Hb, RBS, TLC, DLC, ESR, RA factor, CRP and Thyroid profile along with routine urine examination. These investigations will help us find out the exact cause. Discuss with your doctor. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cause for pain and stiffness in shoulders and knees? 32 minutes later
I had an ESR-21, ANA-neg, CRP was normal. Still waiting for my RF test. I have hypothyroidism but it is normal range. My rheumatologist seemed to blow off my symtoms as osteoarthritis. I am just concerned because i feel so tired and miserable with pain. He thought i should stop all my pain medications because they probable wouldnt work but I have a hard time functioning with all of my pain. That is why I am asking for your opinion
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Please let me know the following. Detailed Answer: Hi, To allow me to help you better, please let me know if you also have any of the following complaints: Pain and stiffness that last for more than an hour upon arising Bilateral symmetrical involvement of hands and feet joints Hand joints and feet joints that are warm and tender to touch History of viral illness like chikungunya. Flu-like feeling Finger and toe joints that "creak" when moved; this is called crepitus Deformities in finger and toe joints Fatigue that is not easily resolved Presence of malar rash and photosensitivity Presence of raised patches or lesions of dead skin cells (psoriosis). Also let me know your age.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cause for pain and stiffness in shoulders and knees? 7 hours later
No dry patchy rashes. I seem to get a faint red raised slightly itchy rash on my face off and on. I dont think it makes a difference if i am in the sun or not. I do have a lot of fatigue. I have a lot of trouble making it through my day at work due to fatigue and pain. I am 45. I have noticed occasionally that I have some crepitus in some of my joints. I know i have arthritis in my right foot, right hip and one of my ribs because I had a bone scan a year ago. Because I have had some back problems for a few years. I have had bilateral hand pain and stiffness in the morning which is what is concerning me. My hands ache whenever I use them for anything for awhile. And i cant grip things like I used to be able to do
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Suggestive of rheumatoid arthritis. Detailed Answer: Hi, Your symptoms are very much suggestive of rheumatoid arthritis. Wait for RF test report. After confirming the diagnosis, you have to be started on medication called disease modifying anti rheumatoid drugs(DMARD) alone or in combination with biologicals (Immunomodulators). You also need regular exercises to preserve joint mobility and maintain muscle strength.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cause for pain and stiffness in shoulders and knees? 3 hours later
My rheumatoid factor came back negative. What else do you think could cause these symptoms? I am so miserable.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Go for anti-CCP antibody test. Detailed Answer: Hi, I suggest yo to go for anti-CCP antibody test after discussing with your doctor. Anti CCP antibody is more reliable than Rheumatoid factor in diagnosing Rheumatoid arthritis. Anti CCP test can accurately diagnose Rheumatoid Arthritis at a very early stage as compared to rheumatoid factor.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor