What is the cause and treatment for male pattern baldness?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: hello doctor...it is regarding my hair problem. my hair is getting thin at the middle of my head.plz refer image I have attached. actually I dont have hairfallproblem, its just getting bald at that area. I work for long hours but their is no much stress. I sleep atleast 8 hours every night. even I regulerly go to gym, take healthy homecooked food, rarely eat outside.will olive oil help? or just suggest me if I need to change anything in my in my lifestyle.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

Most common cause of hair loss or baldness in this age is Androgenic Alopecia or male pattern baldness.

It may be related with deficiency of Iron, Biotin, Protein, Zinc; Fungal infection (Tinea capitis); Dandruff; Diet with high animal fat or Vitamin A; Folliculitis and Cellulitis etc. Blood sugar, blood pressure (BP), Cholesterol level, Hb% etc should be checked properly.

I suggest you to consult with dermatologist for clinical examination and some necessary investigation like Pull test, Pluck test, Scalp biopsy, Trichoscopy etc to rule out underlying cause and confirm the diagnosis.

TREATMENT: 1) First thing, you should continue all above mentioned activities to maintain healthy life style. It is quite important. You should quit smoking and
alcohol (if you have habit) additionally.

2) Drug like Minoxidil, Finasteride, Corticosteroids injections of into the scalp etc can be given to treat the condition. It should be continued as long as you get positive result. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from your doctor.

3) Surgically Hair Transplantation is usually carried out under local anesthetic. It is the last option.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326