What is the cause and treatment for heel pain?

Posted on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Suffering with heel pain - I am using shoe sole from 6 months, result of not using sole from past 2 weeks aggregated pain. It is hurting me even when I am sitting on chair and When I am laying on bed and worse when walking or when getting our of bed
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: This is planter fasciitis Detailed Answer: Hello Mr. XXXX, I read your problems and i think you are having planter fasciitis. In this disease there is pain and swelling of heel and first few steps after getting up from bed are very painful.As you are already wearing soft shoes; i have following advice for you. 1.I would suggest you to get a x ray of your heel as in some cases there is sharp protruding bone at heel that can cause such pain. This bone is called calcaneum spur. 2. Injection of steroid can be given in heel where maximum pain is present. This injection can give permanent pain relief, if pain recur then injection can be repeated after 3 months. 3.Calf stretching exercises, you can learn from physiotherapist. Theses exercises helps in pain relief. Along with this hot water fomentation can be done by keeping your feet in bucket filled with gentle warm water. 4.. If there is bone spur on x ray, it should be removed surgically. This is last option. I would suggest you to try physiotherapy and steroid injection.Heel pain is a chronic disease and complete cure is difficult but these methods will give you pain relief. Also always wear soft footwear and never walk bare foot. Let me know if i can answer any other query for you. Thanks and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 3 hours later
Thanks a lot for your reply.. I got a x-ray and blood test 6 months back and consulted doctor, he confirmed me there is nothing negative based on reports. Do I need to get X-ray again for further assessment ?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: X ray is not needed Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Ok so if you have you have done x ray and there is no bony spur present in it then you should not be worried as then you do not need any surgery for bone removal. Then you can go ahead with steroid injection in heel alone with soft sole. Results are much better in your case as their is no mechanical pressure. Thanks and take care.
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement