What is the cause and treatment for depression?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am constantly depressed and contemplating suicide. I feel too hopeless to reach out and ask for help. This is the last resort. Can you please help me change my mind?
I lost my mother a few months ago to a prolonged illness, and while I remained relatively calm during that time - now that I am away from home, I feel cut off and distant from my family. It's hard to concentrate on my job and I feel terribly lonely even when I'm surrounded by friends.
I feel fat, ugly, useless and even though I know what I should do and that, there are people who love me anyway, I feel too tired to make an effort.
I don't want to cause my Dad any grief, but in the long run, I feel like it's probably better.
I feel like running away and starting afresh - a new identity, a new life.
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Depression

Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please donot harm yourself..take medicine

Detailed Answer:
It is understandable that one would feel sad after mother's death but at the same time you have to move on...because of the people who are there -like your father, he needs you most at this time...you should help him and there must be many in your family who love you.

Please start an antidepressant, this will help you a lot..it will help you come back to life and also give you courage to live again..you should never think about harming one self..this is against God, against people who love us...never ever think about harming yourself in anyway.

These ideas of self harm are due to depression & medicines will help to tackle them.
Drugs like sertraline or escitalopram are very good for you. You may continue to take stilnoct 12.5 or 6.25 for sometime at night and when you get better you can quit it.

Please avoid taking joint- it increases chemical imbalance and increase tendency for depression...

You may also get TSH levels and see if thyroid is disturbed.

I would again say that please donot attempt self harm, take medicines- it will help you come out of depression.
You may start the medicine after meeting a doctor near your area..or you may just seek a councellor for supportive therapy sessions.

Wish you good health
Please ask more questions for clarification.
Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry