What is the absorption rate of Coreg?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: what blood levels are expected with coreg? After ingestion how long until blood levels are reached and for how long of a period before they peak and begin to fall. I am taking 6.25 mg/L morning and evening?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Coreg is immediately absorbed when orally administered explained below...

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing to us.

Before I go for the final conclusions, I want to understand your situation better:
- you are taking coreg while have been diagnosed with Heart failure and COPD bronchitis. Coreg is the trade name for carvedilol which is beta-blocker used to treat heart failure and blood pressure as in your case.

Now, with expected blood levels, I believe you refer to blood pressure. Please take note that Coreg is immediately absorbed with a mean terminal elimination half-time of about 7 to 10 hours.

If taken with food, it can be slowly absorbed and prevent orthostatic hypotension.

- however, coreg is not used in people with severe COPD or chronic bronchitis unless it is extremely necessary.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have further questions.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 20 hours later
In your experience, what could be a better alternative medication?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Agent of beta-1-selectivity:metoprolol, atenolol or betaxolol...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

The decision on the best alternative for coreg will be made based on the analysis of your current health problems and if the action of the betablocker is affecting positively or negatively the dyspnea attack related to COPD.

Usually, beta blockage may advsersely affect pulmonary function by counteracting the bronchodilationeffect produced by catecholamine stimulation of beta-2-receptors.

In cases of broncho-spastic diseases like COPD, better alternatives are considered agents of beta1-selectivity like metoprolol, atenolol or betaxolol. However, they are still used with caution.

Hope this answers your query.
Dr.Albana