What is membranous glomerulonephritis?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Wed, 17 Sep 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: hi,I need information onmembranous nephropathy,actual definition of disease, treatment, and prognosis
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly, refer to detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
Membranous glomerulonephritis is a disorder of kidneys wherein immune complexes are deposited on the basement membrane of glomeruli.
Glomeruli are a part of functional unit of kidney i.e. nephron.
The disease is characterized by loss of proteins in urine, swelling all over the body especially around the eyes, low proteins in serum, and presence of lipids in urine.

There are various causes of membranous glomerulonephritis e.g. diabetes mellitus, drugs, infections like hepatitis etc and idiopathic.
Treatment depends on the underlying cause of the disease.
Once underlying cause is identified, appropriate treatment can be instituted.
Prognosis also depends on the underlying cause of the disease.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj