What is causing red blotches on chest?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have red blotches on my chest, no itching or burning,no symptoms with it. I have change detergents, soaps,lotions.bathing a lot seems to make it alittle lighter, but I can't get it to go away, because I don't know what is causing it. any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The condition can be xerotic eczema, pityriasis versicolor,fixed drug eruption ,lichen planus,contact dermatitis etc.Possibility of p.versicolor is more .It is a common and easily treatable infection.
The photographs of the affected area would be very helpful to predict the condition.Upload the photographs and we can continue the discussion here.Till the time you can apply a good moisturizer with XXXXXXX butter twice a day.
Regards.
Dr Sudarshan
MD dermatologist.