What is best treatment for throat infection and cough?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have got throat infection. I keep coughing. its been 2weeks now . its only cough.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Cough after an episode of sore throat is just a sequel of infection. It should be improving by now. Usually some viral infections result in cough that may last for 2 - 4 weeks. These types of coughs get better spontaneously. If the cough is bad you can take cough syrup at sleep time like Chericoff cough syrup. Saline gargles in warm water should help. Do not take cold food. Avoid going out in cold or windy weather. Take adequate rest. Take fruits and vegetables upto 5 times a day. Take hygienic food and pure drinking water. Cough may be dry or may have sputum. If the sputum is not decreasing with time, then you will need to get a throat swab done to find the infecting organism. Then you will need antibiotics to control the infection. The antibiotics should be given according to the culture and sensitivity results of the sputum. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee