What is a acceptable number for cholesterol for a person
Please see detailed answer
Hi and Welcome to Ask a Doctor service. Thanks for using this app. I have read your question and here is my advice.
Values of cholesterol are not absolute and depends. The desired value may be much lower for those who has major risk factor or who have atherosclerotic diseases like heart disease or stroke etc.
For a normal individual the desirable values have been defined.
1.Total cholesterol are desired to be below 200 mg/dl. Up to 240 may be acceptable but would need care. We generally treat if over 250.
2.LDL The ideal should be less then 100mg/dl but upto 130 may be acceptable.
3.HDL (good cholesterol) are ideal to be over 60(we need it more) though up to 40 may be fine. Less then 40 needs management.
Hope this help you understand your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions or concerns.
I shall be glad to answer your questions.
Kind Regards Dr Mahboob Ur Rahman
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hello. In Mid-May I spent two weeks traveling in a
- I have severe insomnia . so I have taken 2
- Hello, I am trying to find how to complete sentences
- awakened dizzy this morning with a cold sweat. took my
- Would 250 mg daily of magnesium have adverse effect on
- I have been having a feeling of something moving up
- I received my MRI and MRA of both brain and
- at what low dose of predisone does your adernal glands
- blood test results how high is it when you are
- Ulcer pain keeps me from sleeping. Can I take Tylenol