Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What is TORCH infection?

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6502 Questions
Need to understand regarding TORCH infection
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in to us. TORCH is an acronym for commonly occurring infections which may affect pregnancy. The original TORCH complex described clinically similar congenital infections caused by Toxoplasma gondii, others, rubella virus, cytomegalovirus, and herpes simplex virus, types 1 and 2. Primary TORCH infections (toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus and herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2) in the mother can lead to severe fetal anomalies or even fetal loss. There are tests to detect the seroprevalence of IgM antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii, rubella virus and cytomegalovirus and IgG antibodies to herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2. This will tell the possibility of infection in the mother during pregnancy. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor