Is IgG value of 650 IU/ml a cause for concern?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
I am a 78 yr old female, healthy all my life. 6 months ago, I had a nasty virus infection (2 weeks), followed by atrial fibrillation, then congestive heart failure. Doctors could find no apparent reason for the CGF, but a friend suggested I be tested for toxoplasmosis. The IgM was negative, but the IgG was 650 IU/ml.
Should I be treated for the toxoplasmosis to keep it from recurring?
Thanks, XXXX XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that there is no need for any treatment against Toxoplasma in your case.

You should know that IgG are indicative of an old infection. While IgM indicate a recent infection.

You should know that IgM may stay up to 18 months in high levels after acute infections. In acute infections, IgM are very high and IgG are present too. But, later IgM disappear, while IgG remain present for many years (even for the entire life), indicating an occurred immunity to the past infectious agent.

The fact that IgM is negative and IgG is positive, is indicative of a past infection, older than 18 months, which is not active any more.

So, there is no need for any treatment, as the infection will not reoccur.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: Is IgG value of 650 IU/ml a cause for concern? 8 minutes later
Thank you very much.
Your answer is helpful.

XXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Whenever you will have any other uncertainties in the future, please feel free to ask me directly at any time!

I would be happy to answer to all of your questions!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri