What does vaginal bleeding while on Susten indicate?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: hello doc,
I am ttc for quite sometime now. doc prescribed ccq 50 day 3-7 and susten sr 200 (twice a day) from day 16-25. this is my 3rd round. I still have 5 days to complete the susten dose and I'm bleeding today. What could be the possible reason behind this early period? I am supposed to get period only after completing the dose, but why did this happen? What to do?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy should be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Bleeding can occur on Susten either if preferences is there or if the dose is inadequate for the supporting the uterine lining, thus leading to periods.
I will suggest you to get a urine pregnancy test.
If negative, then the dose should be increased after consultation with the doctor.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 30 minutes later
Should I continue with the susten dosage??? I can visit my doc only by this weekend. So, can I go ahead with the remaining susten tabs?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Yes, you should continue the Susten tablet as advised till you visit your doctor.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 44 hours later
hi doc, I tested for pregnancy and it's a negative. My periods lasted for two days and not heavy at all. However, I am continuing with my susten dosage which is due to end tomorrow. I ll visit my doc on friday. What should be my next step doc? Will I get pregnant ever? My cysts vanished long back and my ovaries are perfect. I am 29 years old. Is it normal to get periods while on progesterone?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ovulation induction

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
You can discuss with your doctor to start ovulation induction drugs to help you achieve conception.
Bleeding can occur on progesterone, if the dose is inadequate or if the progesterone is taken for a longer duration.
Dr Deepti Verma