Is Fertomid advisable while trying for pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,

I am 38 years old and I am TTC for the last 2 months without any luck. My husband's age is 34. My periods are regular and very between the 28 to 30 days window. My Gynae after my ultrasound said that everything is in order and there is nothing to worry. She has suggested to take Fertomid 50. When should I start taking the medicine? Does this medicine help?

Please advise.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This medication helps in inducing ovulation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for sharing your health concern with us.

Fertomid is clomiphene, used for inducing ovulation. Usually, it is used for five days starting from day 2 of the menstrual cycle.

Monitoring should be done to detect ovulation and also hyperstimulation, which is a side effect.

Regular intercourse should be timed with ovulation.

Doses can be stepped up until ovulation is achieved up to a maximum of 200 mg.

Usually, a six-month course is tried.

Your consultant may have preferred induction considering your age.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN