What does this stool test report indicate?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: My kid has loose motions since last 5 days. Today is 6th day. We got the stool routine test done. It says mucus is present and pus cell are present in plenty. Did not indicate presence of blood. Color is yellow. Should i worry
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concerns but don't worry. The symptoms and reports are suggestive of an episode of infective gastroenteritis episode. I would recommend following management plan for the child:

-Regular feeds and plenty of rehydration fluids including ORS, lemonade, buttermilk, soups etc.
-5 day course of ofloxacin-ornidazole syrup. The brands available usually are Syp. O2 and Ornof OZ.
- Start Zinc supplement such as Syp.ZnD or Zn20 (5 ml once daily for 14 days). This will help in early recovery and further immunity against similar episodes for next few months.

Hopefully this will help him.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad