What does this sonography report of both kidneys indicate?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: My sonography report states "Both kidneys shows cordinal irregularity with increased echogenicity.Suggested RFT correlation"what does this mean. Is this very serious?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It indicates kidney disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have thoroughly gone through your findings in detail.
Cortical irregularity with increased echogenicity indicate renal parenchymal disease.
Medical renal parenchymal disease are due to many causes like chronic hypertension,diabetes mellitus,glomerulonephritis etc.
You need clinical correlation and complete renal functions test(RFT).Renal function test include serum urea,creatinine. Creatinine level in blood is very sensitive indicator to assess renal functions.
Routine investigations like routine hemogram,random blood sugar,urine RE/ME should be done.

Further investigations like GFR,creatinine clearance,serum electrolytes like serum sodium ,potassium,calcium,bicarbonate,chloride,bicarbonate etc can be done if needed.

You should consult nephrologist for further management.
Treatment depend upon renal function test reports.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX