• question-icon

What does this lab report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in ADHD
Question: Going through very tough time in life .My 2 years 2 months old not speaking except very few words some times he 'll not follow our command but understand what we are saying and observes n do correctly he s having good eye contact good in mingling with others especially kids n he s hyper active too .Ent told to take bera test but there's some deviation .We took this to neurologist without examining him doctor said either autism or ADHD since he's hyperactive .I can't conclude anything .How doctor saying being hyperactive is autism den wat about bera test.If it's autism or ADHD treatment can be done.My kid s very affectionate to us can imagine he's autistic.Please give some conclusion
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to constantly interact (keep talking) to the baby

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let us go step by step. First comes BERA or hearing test. I would insist you to upload the report so that I can check what sort of deviation is there. Your child either has or does not have hearing loss. In case there is hearing loss, it has to be managed with proper intervention. If not, we can proceed to the next step. The next would be to rule out autism spectrum disorders (ASD). Going by the description it does not look like ASD. However, you may answer the questionnaire at https://www.m-chat.org/mchat.php and that will help in ruling out autism. In case it does not point to ASD, you have to continuously interact with your child. This is the primary step of speech therapy and will stimulate language development. It might be a good idea to visit a speech and language pathologist (SLP) and get the condition evaluated. As of now I would not worry about the hyperactivity.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Sir please find the attached report .Kindly let me know if it's autism is it treatable .I'll keep interacting to him and start speech therapy
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
His hearing problems need to be addressed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Your child has hearing problems. In such a case managing the hearing problem is of utmost priority. Unless he 'hears' sounds he cannot reproduce them. That could be a major contributor his not being able to speak. A pure tone audiometry is likely to be needed. You need to follow up with the ENT doctor and also with a speech and language pathologist. Unless he is able to hear properly, merely talking will not solve the problem.

As of now autism does not come into consideration. Autism is a treatable condition but it is not curable. In any case, since your child is otherwise interactive you need not be concerned.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician