• question-icon

What does this echocardiogram report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello Sir,
I really need your help. My mom is a diabetic patient n now a days she is facing breathing problem. BP and ECG are normal but as per doctors advice we went for 2d echo test.

Report says, Left Ventricle EF is 75% and I conclusion it is written as LV RWMA+

Can you please let me know if something is dangerous or had any attack in past. Coz we haven't noticed anything.

Please please please need your help.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
THere were a chance of heart attack earlier

Detailed Answer:

RWMA means Regional wall mobility abnormality which is meant that the heart wall on the right side is moving slowly. This can happen if the blood supply to that particular side is not good. The artery supplying that wall might be clogged earlier. She might not get pain if the blood sugar is too high and it is called silent heart attack common in uncontrolled diabetics.

You still have chances to revive her with good treatment and follow ups. Do not worry please see a cardiologist who can help her with good medications. The blood sugar,pressure and cholesterol should be absolutely controlled with medicines, diet and exercise. She can lead a normal life if she can do this.

All the best.
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Hello Ma'am,
Thank you so much for providing detailed answer. I've few more questions and would be very very happy if you can help me with it.

You wrote, "There were a chance of heart attack earlier". Looking at this 2D Echo values can we surely say there were a chance of heart attack earlier or it is also possible that she never had a heart attack before? Also, can you please let me know, if there was an heart attack earlier, can we check when was that happened (at least approximately how long was that).

Since today morning she is having severe pain in her left leg (front portion of thighs and at times calf. Breathing is normal and no pain in chest or jaws or else where. Is it something to do with heart or just muscular pain. Her random blood sugar when we checked this afternoon in OneTouch glucometer is 251 and fasting it was 181. Also, wanted to check with you, does she needs to go thru any surgery or something like that based on these figures. Rest of the 2D report is normal except
LV EF is 75%
and LV RWMA+
and grade 1 diastolic dysfunction.
Please Please Please help me with it Ma'am.

Thanks & Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely there was a heart attack earlier

Detailed Answer:
2D ECHO could show regional wall abnormal movements only. There are other signs on resting ECG and nuclear stress test where we can see which part of the heart was affected and which has compromised supply.

There is a diastolic dysfunction as well which was summing my answer about previous heart attack.

Her Blood sugars are raised both on random time and fasting. So this says she is at risk for having a heart attack. However it is more accurate with lab test than home glucometer.
The muscle pain could be because of a lot of things even the uncontrolled blood sugars.
I would not say the treatment now until we know what exactly is happening to her. She needs immediate consults from Diabetologist, Cardiologist as well.
Please do not waste time in attending her to a doctor asap.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 20 hours later
Thanks once again Ma'am. As suggested by you, we showed the reports to cardiologist. He suspected the 2D Echo report is little incorrect, as the values doesn't match and asked to check once again. And as per new report LV EF is 55% but not 75%. Rest everything is same. Will that makes any difference in the condition.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 3 days later
Brief Answer:
NO

Detailed Answer:
I suspected the LVEF was incorrect but my previous assumptions were on the basis of incorrect LVEF. So I still think you should consider a previous MI attack and thus treat her.
What was your cardiologist opinion ?
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam