What does this MRI report for pain in thigh indicate?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Lupus
Question: Hello Doctor,
My wife has a history of back pain from last 5 years. About an year ago, she slipped on a wet floor and since then, she gets pangs of pain every now and then in the left thigh. This typically happens 1-2 times in a month. The pain (although pretty poignant) usually last through the night. 3-4 days ago, however, the pain was excruciating and we visited a orthopedic doctor who recommended MRI. MRI results:
Corona screening of thigh did not reveal any significant abnormality - no e/o focal leion in femur or mass lesion/ collection.
Impression:
Bilaterral chronic sacro-ilitis? inflammatory etiology/ ankylosing spondylitis.
Right overian simple cyst measuring 3.5x3.7x2.8 cms.

(this cyst is there since 5 years - was detected during the pregnancy, however, was not operated as the gynac did not feel the need for it).

After reviewing the report, the doctor has asked to do HLA B27 [PR2] test and may refer to a rhematologist.

Will appreciate a second opnion.

Thanks,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think your doctor is guiding you right.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your query I would like to tell you that your doctor is guiding you right . Sacroillitis is an indication for having seronegative spondyloarthropathy so needs evaluation . Is there any history of psoriasis , blood in stools , uveitis .This condition is also rare in females so whole scenario needs to be taken into consideration .I think you should get HLA B 27 by PCR . If this report comes positive then further evaluation will be required. Any other query please ask.

Dr. Shruti