What does this CAT scan report indicate?

Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Follow-up from a previous question. I just received results of my Cat-scan and they reported a cyst on the ovary and referred me to a gynecologist.
2 questions:
1st - I could move the lump in my stomach. Can that really be attached to my ovary?
2nd - would that usually require surgery?
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
An ovarian cyst in a woman of your age is very concerning and not normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am, I have selected to answer this part of your question as I am an XXXXXXX gynecologist and have experience in these matters.

The fact that the mass (lump) in your abdomen is large enough for you to feel and that the CT scan says it is coming from your ovary is not a positive sign. A large ovarian mass may be felt on the abdomen if it is large enough to not fit in the bowl of your pelvis. CT scans are very accurate and you really should not doubt your diagnosis. Ovarian cysts that large in any woman require removal and surgery, but at your age... I apologize for saying this so bluntly, but... ovarian cancer is a possibility. Therefore it is extremely important that you see a GYN doctor, hopefully someone affiliated with a major medical center that has specialists in GYN oncology. A GYN oncologist is the ideal doctor to remove a cyst of that size, determine if it is malignant, and recommend the appropriate treatment. In the U.S. and especially in XXXXXXX you have many excellent major medical centers who can manage you properly.

If you have your own GYN doctor already that is a place to start. You should bring the copy of your CT scan report to the doctor so that he/she can review it, and also they will need to do some blood tests that can help determine if the cyst has signs of malignancy. An ovarian cyst of that size is dangerous in any woman, as it can burst suddenly and cause internal bleeding, among other potential complications.

If you actually have your CT scan report- you can write back to be with the exact wording and I could give you more complete information about what information the test provides.

If not- I very strongly encourage you to see a GYN doctor as quickly as possible to determine the best course of action. You will need surgery for this and it might be advisable to bring a family member with you to aid in the discussion with your doctor.

I hope this information was helpful and I apologize for interjecting your dialog with the other HCM doctor, but I am very concerned about your condition and wanted to make sure you understood the potential seriousness of your condition. There is a possibility that this is not cancer, but it needs to be removed and analyzed to make sure and prevent further complications.

Please do not hesitate to contact me further if you need any clarification or have additional questions about your situation.

Sincerely, Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Jacqueline Brown 2 hours later
Thank you for your XXXXXXX response. I had done some research this afternoon and feared that to be the case.

I have an appointment Tuesday with a GYN and am picking up my CT CD and summary tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is possible that the mass is benign

Detailed Answer:
I do not want you to be discouraged, as there are benign tumors (the largest being a mucinous cystadenoma) that can get quite big and not be malignant. I just wanted to make sure you understood the urgency of your need for surgery and follow-up. If the CT scan did not show any ascites (fluid in the abdomen) or enlarged lymph nodes or other tumors, these are all positive signs.

I really hope the mass turns out to be benign, and that your surgery goes well once you have it. If you don't mind please close the question and thank you for using Healthcaremagic.com Sincerely, Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D