• question-icon

What does these carotid artery ultrasound indicate?

Posted on Wed, 23 Apr 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I HAD A CAROTID ARTERY ULTRASOUND. THE RESULTS SAID INTRUSIVE PLAQUE[<50%]. RICA:PSV 53.7cm/sec, EDV15.6cm/sec. LICA:PSV 50cm/sec, EDV 15.5cm/sec. IS THIS SEROUS? I am unable to upload the report but it also said Visually demonstrated intrusive piaque[PSV<125cm/sec] and/or [EDV<40cm/sec]. My results are the previous values I sent compared to the above values.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not serious. Be relaxed Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I went through the query and understood your concern. The terms suggest right and left internal carotid artery (RICA & LICA) peak systolic velocity (PSV), end-diastolic velocity (EDV). For the diagnosis of internal carotid artery stenosis, the degree of stenosis have been classified based on the plaque and velocity of blood. In particular, a non-significant (<50%) stenosis has been identified by a peak systolic velocity <125 cm/sec. SO your values are non significant with < 50% occlusion and the velocity of blood is also under normal value. So it is not serious. Since you have hypertension, follow diet and exercise properly to prevent any complications. For Diet, you need to take only required calories of food distributed through out the day. Be stress free, do relaxing techniques like yoga, pranayama etc.Keep monitoring your blood sugar,BP and lipid levels. Salt restriction is helpful in maintaining BP and your kidney. Kindly adhere to your drugs. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Lohit K