What does the following ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My dad is 63 yrs old who consulted urologist due to high PVR(124cc) as per USG (dated 31Jan,USG report attached) on 16Feb. Doctor prescribed 2 med-Alfoo 10 & Tadaflo 5.
Doctor finding: PSA-Normal, Bladder outlet Obstruction and thick Urinary Bladder wall
Also suggested USG and Uroflowmetry test after 2 weeks.
Recently he had done USG 2 time (7Mar &13Mar) and Uroflowmetry on 7 mar.
Both USG shows enlarged prostate , which was not there in prev USG (dt 31Jan) and PVR varies in 2 recent USG. One is on the higher side and another on lower side. However , Uroflowmetry report is normal.

I have attached all the report along with mentioned date
USG on 31 XXXXXXX
USG and Uroflow on 7 Mar
USG on 13 Mar.

Please suggest me the cause of enlarge prostate and fluctuation of PVR value. Also tell the next course of action or concern.
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Prostate gland enlargement is age related.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, i can understand your concern.

1. Your father has an enlarged prostate gland,which's normally seen in his age group.
That's the cause for the increased PVR in the initial scan.
Uroflowmetry is done before starting treatment,to help co-relate in diagnosis.
That was not done in January.But after starting treatment,it's become normal.
2. Fluctuation in PVR, is due to the amount of urine retained in bladder for scan.
The second scan done on 7th march, is the most reliable one.

The second scan shows an enlarged prostate,with significantly reduced PVR.(49ml)
That's suggestive of proper treatment and there should be reduced symptoms.
If he's happy with improvement in symptoms,let he can continue with Alfoo.

He should've a review with the Urologist,after one month or as advised.
Hope your doubts are cleared.There's no need for any anxiety.
Wishing him well.

Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.