What does the following MRI report indicate?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I recently had MRI and EMG the EMG shows significant aropothy​ in both legs. I have no history of diabetes. The MRI is
More confusing here is what it said. Fatty lessions in left side of L-3. L-4 - LS there are circumferential end plate osteophytes with broad posterior and facet arthropathy. These changes in a 9mm triangular dual sac. Neural foramiral lateral recess narrowing is present. L-S - S-1 Mild bilateral facet arthropathy. L-4 - L5 there is moderate central spinal stenosis secondary to broad posterior protrusion and end plate osteophytic Spurs. These changes said to narrow the lateral recesses and neural foramiral. L-5 partially sacralized. Please break this down in layman terms for me to have a better understanding. The doctor speaks so fast I leave never really knowing the facts.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

The MRI report describes the lumbar spine. It describes the last three junctions between the vertebrae and the sacral bone (the vertebrae L3, L4, L5 and S1 - S standing for sacral). It describe arthritis changes in all these levels. These arthritic changes have lead to formation of osteophytes (bony spurs) and disc bulges. These bulges and spurs together with surrounding inflammation may lead to narrowing of the spinal canal, foramina and recesses, the spaces where the nerve roots traverse on their way out of the spine. As a result that may cause compression of these nerve roots with the symptoms of pain and weakness that you describe.

Some arthritic changes are common as one ages. In your case though they are more advanced because of the long standing psoriatic arthritis that you mention.

In terms of management conservative means are pain anti-inflammatory pain killers when necessary and physical therapy. If that has been tried and is not enough then images should be consulted with a neurosurgeon in order to evaluate the possibility for surgery to release compression. Given the persistence of the symptoms for a year, the severity of the symptoms and the atrophy which indicates nerve suffering yours seems to be a case where surgery may be considered.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.