What does spotting during early pregnancy indicate?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doc,
My wife is 6-7 weeks pregnant and on her last scan (vaginal) on 3rd March we were told by the doctor that heart beat (normal) was present. Post her scan she started experiencing 'spotting' here and there but not regularly. We went to the doctor again this morning and she said this is normal but advised to go for the vaginal scan again. This time she said there is Heart Beat but in the form of a 'Flicker'. She will be performing the scan again after 3-4 days and my wife will be travelling to US on 10th March for 3 weeks. I'm really worried.

Can you please advise us on this? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wait for next scan

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
I understand your anxiety about the issue
This can be an early sign of eminent abortion and thus she should take full rest and all Medicine as told
Travel is not a good idea and that too till USA.
Wait for next scan and in case everything comes fine then also she should avoid flying ideally
Let's wait for repeat scan
All the best
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy