What does sclerosis in the right acetabulum indicate?

Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I just received CT results with noted 4 mm sclerosis in the right acetabulum, is this something I should have investigated further?
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bone island

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for the CT report which certainly clarifies the situation as the radiologist reports the area of sclerosis as being consistent with a bone island.

A bone island, also known as an enostosis, is a focus of compact bone located in cancellous bone. This is a benign entity that is usually found incidentally on imaging studies and is nothing at all to worry about. You can think of it like a birth mark or benign mole on the skin.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes