What does raised red patchy skin indicate?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I have what looks like a bug bit. It happened sometime late last night when I went out to get the dog. I live in central California in the city. It's been pretty rainy this year and the is still fairly cool. It appears to have a raised circle that appears to have some fluid with another circle of red skin. the bit is pretty sour when touched. We do have a possum that travels along our back fence, strange since we are in a regular neighborhood in the city. not sure if it could have brought some kind of insect in. I',m hoping you have some suggestions of what might have bit me. thank you XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an image for review!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully and will like to review an image of this area you are talking about. The nature of the area will guide in identifying the probable cause and proposing measures to help address the bite. Without reviewing an image, we may not be able to offer personalized and very helpful response to you. If uploading an image seems difficult, kindly send it to customer care at YYYY@YYYY .

For now, wash the area with soap and clean water. if it itches or it is inflamed, apply a low dose steroid cream. If that is absent, take Tylenol and Benadryl for relief.

I look forward receiving and reviewing the images as soon as they get here to provide more insights as to the possible cause and helpful management tips.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 9 hours later
I have send via my Iphone 2 separate emails with bug bite images.

Inner circle raised and bite throbs. Inner raised inner circle is s little larger than a nickel.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the images!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the images.

I have reviewed them both. Unfortunately, this is not distinctive for any commonly feared and documented bug bites like scorpion and others. This to me is good news, though the exact bug cannot be immediately identified.

Treatment would be same: Cleansing with antiseptic and applying a local steroid cream for pain and inflammation. Please, avoid picking on it repeatedly as this may lead to infection and delayed healing. Unless otherwise, all should be well in 5-7days.

I hope this helps.I wish you well. Follow through and keep me updated on this.

Kind regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 29 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Ditah I appreciate your quick response.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:

I'm glad you like our quick response. Our customers’ satisfaction is our main goal.

I wish you well and will love to get details on how you are responding to the recommended measures.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee