What does "prominent bronchovascular markings bilaterally" mean?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 30 Jun 2014 in General Health
Question: I am having some difficulty in breathing for the past couple of months, and I had an x-ray that showed prominent bronchovascular markings bilaterally.. What does this mean? My doctor just advised some antibiotics and coughing syrup, but I am still not fully recovered? Any advice?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Two months persistent cough needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

Prominent bronchovascular markings refers to mild inflammation of small airways. Clinically it may be termed bronchitis. There doesn't appear to be any focal lesion on X ray. Persistent coughing inspite of antibiotics and cough syrup may be due to conditions like allergy to dust or environment. If you have fever and weight loss then other chronic conditions need to be ruled out. It is best to consult a pulmonologist and get certain blood tests and if necessary lung capacity evaluation to know if your breathing volumes are normal.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 17 hours later
I don't have persistent cough or fever. Just still some chest pain / discomfort although better than before. What is your recommendation?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of allergy may be considered

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in with an update.

If the fever and cough is not persistent then I suppose the extremes of weather and dusty environmental conditions may be causing your problems. This is more in people who are allergic to dust at home and outside. You may do regular salt water gargles and clear your throat and watch for 15 days. If you still do not get relief, the fevers and cough get more frequent then you need to get examined in detail. Please take adequate rest and do protect yourself from extremes of climate.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek