What does positive Troponin test indicate?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: HI I am a 29 yrs old male,62 kg,5'4".All of a sudden in a morning I had breathing problems which was associated with cough and flue like symptoms.I took some nemuslide(paracitamole...) pills but the problem continued till the mid of the day.Later I was given with oxygen and nebuliser.My doctor said that I had cardiac attack and they confirmed this as troppin test was positive and ECG was showing symptoms.At that time my Heart Rate was as high as 130-140.I have diagnosed with asthmatic bronchitis and TropT+ have been advised with nitroglicerin,nicorandil,cytogard OD,Clopidogrel and Aspirin tabs and Atrovastatin tablets. My Echo cardigraphy seems normal.I would like to know this tropin test confirms heart attack and what probably has happened with me?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Troponin is marker of myocardial damage.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
Troponin is known as cardiac marker.
It is marker of myocardial damage.
And it is very sensitive and specific test for myocardial damage.
It releases from cardiac muscles (myocardial cells).
The most common cause for myocardial damage is decreased blood supply to the myocardial secondary to either Coronary obstruction or coronary spasm.
If it is coronary obstruction then it is considered as heart attack in layman terms.
At your age of 29 years, possibility of Coronary obstruction is less likely.
Possibility of temporary coronary spasm is more.
So troponin level suggest myocardial damage but it not always heart attack.
Better to get done coronary Angiography to rule out coronary blockage.
Please send me pics of full ecg (all leads of ecg),so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 13 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both attachments are showing only 2 leads.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
I have gone through the image you have attached.
Sorry to say but both the images show only first 2 leads.
There are total 9 leads in ecg.
So please show me images of other 7 leads, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
ECG has been done twice while I was in discomfort I have attached second one as ecg1.JPG so on while the first one's images as 1.JPG so on.Any review will be highly appreciated.

--regards XXXXXXX XXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both ecg s showing same changes.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen both your ecg s.
Both are showing only lead I and lead II.
In both these leads, heart rate is very high around 150 beats per minute. And ST T changes are seen in lead II.
These ST T changes are worrisome and indicative of myocardial damage. And this is the reason for your high troponin.
We need to see all 9 leads of ecg for ST T changes.
So please send images of whole ecg with 9 leads, not only lead I and lead II, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.