What does positive IgM and IgG in a HSV1 test report indicate?

Question
I just wanted to start off saying that I have been worrying my self so much that I have given myself anxiety over this for a year now. So It all started when my ex boyfriend told me he caught something from me last may. He told me he had chylmedia. I had no symptoms of that but I still wanted to go get checked. I came back negative for every std. I didnt stop there. I kept going to the doctor every two weeks for three months to get blood work down etc. They all came back negative. I let it go but wanted to just see one more time. I went in October 10 (Last time i went was august 8 and those results were negative) and my test results came back Positive HSV 1 iGg(positive) IGm Positive. I am STILL freaking out and the doctors i have haven't really been informative. WHen i asked what all this meant was the IGM shows I just acquired it since i have been getting tested left and right. but when i read the internet it says igg is a past exposure and IGm is a recent exposure. So did i not acquire this recently? She said that i am freaking out for no reason since i hadnt had sex or done anything since may and all my results have been negative until then. I get that HSV1 is SO common such as cold sores but im still freaking out. I have never received oral for anyone but i know you can get HSV 1 genitally as well but these results and my history arnt matching up. Am I just freaking out about a cold sore orally? Please help me cause this has literally caused me so much anxietiy for a year now
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Infection is present now.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
A positive test for HSV-1 is not worrisome as the infection can remain dormant and asymptomatic for years. The negative tests till may indicate a recent infection and even in the absence of any sexual intercourse or oral sex it can be transmitted with any physical contact like a handshake.
I think you are just over anxious in this issue. It is not a big deal to get a positive test. False negative tests are possible but recurrent false positive tests does not seem likely.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: What does positive IgM and IgG in a HSV1 test report indicate? 23 minutes later
I got tested a lot up until August 6 which all were negative and the. decided to et checked again October 8 which is when I saw the positive hsv1 igg&igm. I am just curious is to if I could have contracted it between August and October from sharing drinks, lipstick, etc. The last person I had sex with was May 11 last year. Do you think it's from him? All my results were negative up until October and it was igm that was positive. I just don't want this to be a sexual disease. I know condoms can't prevent this but we used a condom and I have NEVER received or given oral. Help me I'm so anxious and worried sick :(

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not due to May 11 episode.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Since all your tests were negative till Aug 6 the infection has happened after August. This is not a genital infection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: What does positive IgM and IgG in a HSV1 test report indicate? 10 minutes later
That's great thank you. Do you mind going in more detail with how you know that so I can have more piece of mind

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a genital infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
The chances of having false negative test is less than 5% when the test is done only once. In your case since the test was done every 2 weeks the chances of a false negative are even lesser. This shows that the positive test and the infection happened after August. This is thus not a genital infection. Please do not worry.
Regards.

Follow-up: What does positive IgM and IgG in a HSV1 test report indicate? 10 hours later
Ok! One last thing to put my mind at ease. Can you explain in my situation off and igm in terms of my results?

Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Positive Igm test indicates infection at present. Positive IgG indicates infection that happened more than 6 weeks ago. Both infections are possible by a usual contact like sharing lipsticks or towels.
I hope it has put your mind at ease.
Regards.

Follow-up: What does positive IgM and IgG in a HSV1 test report indicate? 2 minutes later
So with the positive igm and igg results it's safe to say that it was a recent exposure between August and October and not last May?? Just trying to rule out that I got it sexually. Wouldn't it have shown earlier in my test results if I got it in May?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Yes. You understood correctly. This positive test is not from the sexual exposure you had in may. Otherwise your earlier tests would have been positive.

Follow-up: What does positive IgM and IgG in a HSV1 test report indicate? 8 minutes later
Oh ok! Cause I also read that igg take a while to form, can you clarify that in my situation? Like it sad from when it happened it could take 6 months so are you sure?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No fixed time period.

Detailed Answer:
The time can vary from 6 weeks to 6 months after the exposure. There is no pin point time for their appearance. It depends on the extent of exposure and the person's own immunity status.
Regards.

From the information I have given do you think this is an std hsv 1 or just a cold sore

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cold sore likely.

Detailed Answer:
more likely to be a cold sore.

Follow-up: What does positive IgM and IgG in a HSV1 test report indicate? 1 hour later
I am very confused. I just got this messages from my OBGYN and at first when she first told me she said it was a recent exposure but she just sent this:

Our nurse XXXXXXX forwarded your message to me regarding your questions about herpes. No, it means that it is a previous exposure to the virus. There there are two antibodies that can be present when you have an infection. The IgM antibody is the first antibody that shows up when you are having a new infection or if you have an active infection (current outbreak). If you had never been exposed, the IgM antibody stays positive for up to about 4 weeks. The second antibody, known as IgG, shows up later after you have already been exposed to the virus. If IgM is negative and IgG is positive, the infection is considered dormant. If IgM and and IgG are both positive at the time of the bloodwork, it means that you have a current active infection (current outbreak) to and infection that you have already been exposed to. Your blood work shows only previous exposure to type 1 herpes.

What do I make from this:( I am so confused now.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only IgG is positive.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
The note by your gynecologist indicates that your report shows only a past infection by Herpes. It means IgM is not positive in your current test. It is only IgG that is positive. If both are positive then it would have indicated that currently you are having an active infection also.
I am ruling out STD as there is no history of genital exposure recently.
Regards.

Follow-up: What does positive IgM and IgG in a HSV1 test report indicate? 3 minutes later
But dosent it take awhile for igg antibodies to form?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can for in 6-8 weeks also.

Detailed Answer:
It can for in 6-8 weeks also.