What does my vestibular tests and audiological investigations indicate?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi, i requested an tri from the ent. He is away so i am still waiting. I have my ct and my balance test results, i would love to send you a copy to review, thanks XXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 days later
Brief Answer:
Reports does not show any significant problems...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for posting the reports.

First of all, I would like to apologize for keeping you waiting.

I have gone through the reports thoroughly and none of them mentions of any significant abnormality. HRCT temporal bone shows minimal deposit of extra bone around the stapes – sign of early stage of Otosclerosis. There is no dehiscence of bone over the superior semicircular canal and the operated area looks absolutely perfect.

Audiological investigations are almost perfect, except for a mild sensori-neural hearing loss (SNHL) at 8K. This signifies minimal damage to nerves in the higher frequency. This is not going to hamper your routine activities. One point to be noted here is the previous audiogram did not show this SNHL. Hence, this could have happened either because of surgery or following physical strain post-surgery.

Third, your vestibular tests are also well within the normal limits.

To summarize, the operated area seems to be perfect. You can almost neglect the minimal SNHL. But, I would recommend you to get the audiological investigations done at least once in six months; this is to look for any worsening or improvement in the hearing. This will also help us to keep track on the abnormal deposit of the bone around the stapes. The dizziness that you are presently having could be an after-effect of the physical strain following surgery. Due to the presence of abnormal third window in the semicircular canal, any moderate amount of physical exertion can cause damage to the sensitive inner ear labyrinth and thus, mixing of the inner ear fluids. Mixing of the inner ear fluids induces dizziness and tinnitus.

My sincere suggestion to you to is minimize the physical strain and also reduce the salt intake. This gives sufficient time for the membranous labyrinth to recover completely.

Hope this information has been helpful to you. Please revert back, if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: What does my vestibular tests and audiological investigations indicate? 7 days later
Is there anything I can do, I struggle with imbalance to some degree every. Mt life if just a waiting game until I work this problem out.
Do you think I should still be looking for perilymph fistula, my symptoms all match scd But my test results say no.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try with Betahistine...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

I'm really sorry for the situation you are in. The symptoms are secondary to the presence of third window in the inner ear labyrinth and not due to perilymph leak.

Try taking Betahistine 16 mg thrice a day, this will help in reducing the inner ear pressure, by ensuring effective micro ear circulation. Also, you will require medicines to reduce the edema in the inner ear.

Avoid physical stress and excess intake of salt.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.

Follow-up: What does my vestibular tests and audiological investigations indicate? 4 hours later
The only symptom i had prior to surgery was positional vertigo. My ct was perfect. I did not come out of the operation the way i was expecting. I did lots of rehabilitation. The blocked ear and hearing everything inside was a direct result of the operation. I have had no trauma since ,however i did start suffering with laryngal reflex, nexium helps but not completely. The surgeon who performed the operation just says there's a hole somewhere we just can't find it. In the past serc has been no help. Should i still get an mri, thanks

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI with contrast would be ideal...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

As I had mentioned before, creation of an additional window in the labyrinth would cause all these symptoms.

I also agree with you, to get a contrast enhanced MRI scan. This will help in identifying the leaks from the inner ear.

The acid reflux may be secondary to the stress you underwent after the surgery.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: What does my vestibular tests and audiological investigations indicate? 7 hours later
Thank you so much, I have an appointment on.Monday with ent, I will Let you know how I go, XXXX.

Brief Answer:
Wish you good luck...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

I wish you good luck; hope things will fall in place soon. Till you consult your doctor please follow my advise.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon